I'm already tired of the hoohah about "Perl 5 is dead" and the hand-wringing and the useless flapping about what we should do. I'm more interested in what is going on in Perl that none of us have heard of yet.
If I didn't have family and book obligations, I'd gladly take two days off and an 18-hour round trip to Omaha, Nebraska to check out the lightning talks presented by the University of Nebraska at Omaha on Tuesday. Robert Fulkerson posted to the Omaha.pm list:
The Fall 2008 UNO CSCI 2850 (Programming on the Internet) class invites you to an evening of lightning talks on Perl programming, the Firefox web browser and other (mostly) web-related topics.
Lightning Talks are no longer than 5 minutes and can be about anything: a new idea, an evaluation, an observation, a story, a complaint, an explanation, a suggestion, a report of success or failure, a call to action, a description of a technique, technology, or a lament.
Usually we split the talks over two nights, but this semester it's going to be one, big solid night of talks.
Where: Peter Kiewit Institute, Room 252 ( http://tinyurl.com/5g83cb ) When: Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 Time: 6:00 PM until 8:30 PM
- Writing a Greasemonkey script for FireFox to make BlackBoard tolerable
- Obfuscating Perl
- Connecting Perl to databases
- Using BioPerl for sequence analysis
- Perl Google APIs
- Acid Test 3
- Gossamer Forum
- Perl vs. Python
- Index a website starting with a single page
- Dictionary attack using Perl
- iTunes playlist extractor: C++ vs. Perl
- Regex Creator
- Regex Coach
- History of Perl
- Software Pirating Debate (Spore, SecuROM)
- Perl 6 vs. Perl 5
- Rapid Exploit Development using Perl
- SSH on iPod Touch
- Regex usage in Perl vs. C
- Ubuntu with Conky
- Perl-XML: XML Made Easy with Perl!
- Perl Module - GD::SecurityImage
- Gmail:Checker module
- Improving Perl program efficiency/performance
- Subversion Tortoise client search
- Perl PayPal APIs
- JQuery UI
- Talking to LCD projectors using Perl
"Talking to LCD projectors using Perl"? "Rapid Exploit Development using Perl"? "Perl 6 vs. Perl 5" by someone who (I assume) is not part of the core group? Someone get this on tape and YouTube 'em, willya?
I would love to be there. (Plus, then I could go get some Valentino's pizza).